Phoebe Traquair railings


Restoring wrought iron gates and railing designed by Phoebe Anna Traquair

The ornamental, wrought iron railings and gates, along a ramp leading to 25 Bridge Road, are prominent and easily visible from Bridge Road and an adjoining popular right of way in Colinton.

The railings and gates were commissioned by Walter Biggar Blaikie for his house in Colinton and designed by Phoebe Anna Traquair in the early 1920s with technical help from architect Frank Mears. Phoebe lived in Colinton and was one of the important artists of the Arts and Crafts movement in Britain. The railings were constructed by blacksmith Thomas Hadden in 1924. These railings are listed in top Category A by Historic Scotland.

The railings/gates had suffered severe corrosion and breakages over the years. With the support of the owner, Historic Scotland, City of Edinburgh Council and others, the CCCT, during 2007, carried out extensive restoration of the railings to restore them to their former glory; this work cost nearly 70,000. A plaque on the retaining wall beneath the railings explains their origins and significance to the arts in Scotland.


Panel 4 of the railings before restoration.

Severe corrosion over 80 years.
Photo courtesy Neill Campbell

Panel 4 of the railings after restoration.

Restored by CCCT.
Photo courtesy Neill Campbell

Phoebe Traquair railings plaque.

Photo courtesy Andrew Paterson